Many of the most successful brands in the world are using humor to build a more engaged social media audience. Why can’t you?
Being funny is hard enough, but creating a humorous brand on social media is a whole other level of challenge. Fortunately, there’s a lot of inspiration to look towards. Check out these five quick tips (plus examples) on adding humor to your brand’s social media.
1. Find your personality, and then harness it. There’s a reason this tip is first. It’s because your brand’s personality and voice will impact every single type of post, comment, share, and joke that you ever make.
For example, the Wendy’s Twitter account has built up quite the reputation for the sassy manner in which it interacts with users, sometimes “roasting” them, as seen below.
If you're asking a fast food Twitter this relationship might be doomed
— Wendy's (@Wendys) February 14, 2017
2. Pop culture references. Whether it’s the new Marvel movie that’s just hit theatres, or it’s the season finale of The Bachelor, pop culture is an absolute gold mine of humor.
Here’s an example that Old Spice posted the night of the Grammy Awards…
Hope we win an award tonight and also hope we didn’t fundamentally misunderstand what this particular awards show is and make an extremely expensive short film for nothing.
— Old Spice (@OldSpice) January 28, 2018
3. React humorously. You should be looking through any and all comments or posts about your brand to begin with. If you find any that seem like a great setup for a joke – go for it.
Here, Taco Bell demonstrates how to react when an influencer makes a post about your brand.
Tacos > abs.
— Taco Bell (@tacobell) January 26, 2018
4. Interact with other brands. When people see their favorite brands humorously interacting with each other on Twitter, they’ll eat it up.
Here, Netflix Tweets at Amazon, suggesting that they bring their new planned HQ to the fictional town of Hawkins, featured in the hit Netflix show, Stranger Things.
— Netflix (@netflix) January 18, 2018
5. When all else fails: Memes. There’s a reason memes are everywhere. Even if you or your boss don’t think memes are very amusing, millions of people sharing them across social media might disagree. Sure, memes might seem like low-hanging fruit, especially if you didn’t even design the one you’re posting, but they’re a proven, effective way to get engagement.
In the following example, Delta goes the extra mile, creating an original meme that is not only relevant to their brand, it’s also genuinely funny and timely. Plus, it’s a GIF instead of just a standard image.
— Delta (@Delta) November 23, 2017
Build Your Brand With CoGoBuzz
While CoGoBuzz can’t write the jokes for you, our state-of-the-art digital marketing service will do just about everything else.
CoGoBuzz digitizes your brand, leveraging advanced WiFi, SMS, and Email solutions to both discover, and engage with, your audience. We build your social media, getting you automatic followers. On top of that, we’ll create fully realized customer profiles that better allow you to discover your customers, and get in better touch with your brand’s identity through the lens of the consumer. Check out the rest of our site to learn more!
Have any humorous tips? Give us your best ones in the comments!